Sunday, July 3, 2016

Finding God

Mandy Steward writes in Thrashing About with God about how she heard from God in her own conversation with her daughter:

“I will send you love letters under the door that tell you how much I love you... I felt God saying to me, 'This is what I do for you.' ... Little love notes that sometimes I can’t be sure were from God or me doing something kind for myself. But does it matter? If I’m able to feel love now when the unloved moments hit, I don’t care if I’m confused about its source. God is love, so wherever love flocks to, He must be a part of it" (82-83).

As I finished reading the chapter in tears and set the book down, I realized that the song coming through my earbuds was Selah singing "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus." 

God often slips in incognito. Sometimes I see Him and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'm more desperate to see Him, though I'm not sure that is the determining factor in whether He appears or not. But maybe it makes me slightly more attuned to His presence. After all, why would I see Him if I'm not looking? And this visit came at a time when I was desperate for God. 

I've been working through Ephesians one verse at a time, and I recently read 1:18 (ESV) "having the eyes of your heart enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which He has called you, what are the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints." This has been part of my prayer lately. 

There have been many distractions from the world, the flesh, and the devil. Inconsequential things and even good things have kept me from seeing God, what He is doing, and the hope to which He has called me. I want to be so enamored with Him and so attentive to His presence that I see nothing else. I want Him to burn away all the chaff, and put all other things in their proper place of subordination.

I don't want to realize one day that I've stopped looking for Him because I've gotten too busy, too distracted, or too tangled up in sin. I want Him to keep the eyes of my heart open to see Him and receive His love notes every day. 

"O the deep, deep love of Jesus,
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free,
Rolling as a mighty ocean
In its fullness over me. 
Underneath me, all around me,
Is the current of Thy grace;
Leading onward, leading homeward
'Til I see Thy glorious face."
(Public domain, altered.)



© Dawn Rutan 2016