Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Can't Turn Back

Awhile back I read in the book of Ruth where Ruth declared to Naomi: "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God" (1:16 ESV). Peter made a similar comment when Jesus asked the disciples if they intended to turn back as well, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that You are the Holy One of God" (John 6:68-69). 

Perhaps other people aren't as heretical as I am, but every now and then I wonder—what if all this Christianity stuff is a myth and the Bible really isn't true? To be clear, I believe that there is good evidence for the Bible, and by faith I accept it as my guidance for life, but sometimes what it comes down to is this—where else could I go? I see no other options that will give me hope during hard times; that can give my life purpose and a reason to get out of bed in the morning; that can tell me this life is about more than just enduring to the end. 

If this life is all there is then there's every reason to exploit people, to grab whatever you can, and to eat, drink and be merry. There is no reason to care about other people or to adhere to any kind of morality. And there are plenty of reasons to give up all hope. 

But if Christianity is true... The One who created me also has redeemed me. My life is in His hands. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I am saved from the penalty and power of sin. I am secure in the love of God, and no one can take me out of His hand. I am being conformed to His image. I am called to share His works and His truth. I am uniquely gifted to serve Him. I have reasons to live in faith, hope, and love. 

I wrote most of this post a couple months ago, but today read a quote that summarizes my thoughts: "What if I want to believe simply because I believe. It all sounds so foolish, so childlike, but I don’t have anything else to cling to" (Mandy Steward, Thrashing About with God, 190).

"And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight..."



© Dawn Rutan 2016