Thursday, July 28, 2016

Treasuring God on the Mountain

Thoughts from Family Camp 2016

1) In a quiet moment at the creek, I was watching the water striders floating around. Each one stayed in a particular spot, and if another came within 6-8 inches they would chase it off. There were some interesting fights on the water's surface. Some worked hard to keep from floating downstream, while others rested against rocks. None of them seemed to accomplish anything, but each defended its square foot admirably. 

Unfortunately, the same might be said of some churches. Nothing is ever accomplished, but they've kept their building or their tradition safe from intruders while the stream of life keeps flowing past. There are some things we are to preserve and protect, but buildings and traditions aren't among them. Ephesians 4:3 (ESV) says we are to be "eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." That's hard to do if we're busy defending our turf rather than the gospel. 


2) One fussy young lad was heard to say "Nothing will make me happy but gum." That might seem silly, but I'm not sure some folks ever grow up. Their desires just get bigger and more expensive— a truck; a house; a spouse; a divorce; better health... "I'd be happy if I just had this one thing."

Josh Chamberlin's devotion on Tuesday talked about "It Is Well With My Soul." I was reminded of a blog idea I'd been kicking around: It may not always be well with my body, my emotions, my work, etc., but ultimately none of that matters if it is well with my soul. And because of Christ, my deepest needs have been met. Everything else is just a passing desire. 

3) Even though this is Family Camp, and many folks do come with multiple generations of family, it is evident that we are all brothers and sisters in God's family. Those of us who come alone are quickly adopted by others. People go out of their way to help those in need. Kids migrate from one family to another (often dependent on who's at the front of the lunch line).

That's the beauty of being part of this larger family, but it doesn't always happen at the local church level where we don't spend extended times together. I can say from experience that it can be hard for someone new to a church to break into the circles of biological families and build meaningful relationships. That's something we need to be constantly mindful of. 

4) In the evening services, Travis Hutcheson shared from Deuteronomy 6. I hadn't thought before about the personal application that we were all once slaves to something, but now we are free in Christ and are heading to the Promised Land. It kind of parallels 1 Corinthians 6:11: "And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." 

I often wrestle with how to accept that as true while yet living with the temptations of this life. The Israelites had the same problem. Although they knew God was leading them to a better land, whenever things got tough they started looking back to the "good life" in Egypt. Although physically free, they were still mentally enslaved to a life that was killing them. And today, even though we are spiritually free, we still find ourselves longing for Egypt because we can't fathom the Promised Land that is coming and we don't want to wait for it. And as Chris Hall reminded us, one thing that will help us to persevere is to remember that God chose is to be His treasured possession. 

"Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, you shall be My treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is Mine" (Exodus 19:5).


© 2016 Dawn Rutan.