Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Nearing the End

“For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God” (Col. 3:3).

This verse came to mind as I was thinking about what it would be like to face an imminent death. We all know that death is a certainty unless Christ returns first. We just don’t know how soon our end will come. You’ve probably heard some variant of the question, “If you knew this was your last day on earth, how would that change your priorities?” But the Apostle Paul puts a different spin on it, because he says we have already died and our remaining days belong entirely to Christ. He uses the same reasoning in Galatians 2:20, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

How should it shape our priorities and daily lives if we remembered that in Christ we have already died to the things of this world? The first thing that comes to mind is that I would care a lot less about what people think of me. It wouldn’t matter so much whether I am accepted, appreciated, or adequate, because I’m already fully loved and accepted by the only One whose opinion really matters. For some, the first thought might be a different definition of success—no longer striving for perfection or achievement, but focusing on sharing the gospel with those we love and want to be with for eternity. For others, it could be a realization that the things we depend on for safety and security in this life are not going to matter in eternity, and therefore they don’t require as much attention or effort as we might otherwise dedicate to them.

I was introduced to the 7 Primal Questions concept from Mike Foster. I find the psychology of it interesting, but from the few videos I watched it sounds like his primary advice is to turn each question around:

  • From “Am I safe?” to “I am safe.”
  • From “Am I secure?” to “I am secure.”
  • From “Am I loved?” to “I am loved.”
  • From “Am I wanted?” to “I am wanted.”
  • From “Am I successful?” to “I am successful.”
  • From “Am I good enough?” to “I am good enough.”
  • From “Do I have a purpose?” to “I have a purpose.”

For the Christian, every one of those questions is answered “yes” in Jesus Christ. We have all the security, love, and purpose that we really need because we are children of the Heavenly Father. Admittedly, that doesn’t always feel like enough when we’re living in a broken world. We’d all like to have people around us who will affirm those truths frequently, and the Church doesn’t always do a good job of that. That’s one reason we need to remind ourselves that we have died with Christ, and we now live in and through Him.

People will always disappoint us one way or another, and we will disappoint them too. But our Father is never disappointed with us, because He knows us better than we know ourselves. And there is coming a day when we will see our Savior face to face and we’ll know the full depths of His love, acceptance, and forgiveness. Until that day, we can remind ourselves and one another that this life is far shorter than we can comprehend and we should order our priorities accordingly. By doing so, our lives will probably start to look more like the Beatitudes—meek, merciful, pure in heart, peacemakers, seeking righteousness, etc. (Matt. 5:3-12), because we know that the promised blessings are already ours in Christ.

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Heb. 12:2 BSB).


© 2023 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture are ESV and all images copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.