Thursday, October 26, 2023

IQ Isn't Everything

If you’re like me, whenever you hear the name Albert Einstein there’s this mental sign that pops up saying, “Ah, genius!” When I learned that he was from a Jewish family, had Catholic school education, and was a pacifist, I thought it would be interesting to read some of the things he wrote. They are indeed interesting, but not in the way I anticipated. In just the first chapter of the book The World as I See It, there are a few statements I can fully agree with:

“What is the meaning of human life, or of organic life altogether? To answer this question at all implies a religion... The man who regards his own life and that of his fellow-creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified for life... I have never looked upon ease and happiness as ends in themselves.”

Other statements seem mostly correct:

“From the point of view of daily life, without going deeper, we exist for our fellowmen—in the first place for those on whose smiles and welfare all our happiness depends, and next for all those unknown to us personally with whose destinies we are bound up by the tie of sympathy.”

But then there are statements that greatly undermine my respect for this genius. When he gets into religious discussions the anvil drops:

“Feeling and desire are the motive forces behind all human endeavor... [The] most varying emotions preside over the birth of religious thought and experience. With primitive man it is above all fear that evokes religious notions—fear of hunger, wild beasts, sickness, death...

“The social feelings are another source of the crystallization of religion. Fathers and mothers and the leaders of larger human communities are mortal and fallible. The desire for guidance, love, and support prompts men to form the social or moral conception of God... The Jewish scriptures admirably illustrate the development from the religion of fear to moral religion, the religions of all civilized peoples... are primarily moral religions...

“Common to all these types is the anthropocentric character of their conception of God. Only individuals of exceptional endowments and exceptionally high-minded communities, as a general rule, get in any real sense beyond this level. But there is a third state of religious experience which belongs to all of them, even though it is rarely found in a pure form, and which I will call cosmic religious feeling... He looks upon individual existence as a sort of prison and wants to experience the universe as a single significant whole... The religious geniuses of all ages have been distinguished by this kind of religious feeling, which knows no dogma and no God conceived in man’s image; so that there can be no Church whose central teachings are based on it. Hence it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with the highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as Atheists, sometimes also as saints... I maintain that cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest incitement to scientific research.”

While scientific advances are often (though not always) helpful to the world, it’s sad that some of those involved in such research can’t imagine that there is a sovereign God who not only created this world but is intimately involved in the lives of people. If I thought that man’s only purpose was to keep improving this world for future generations, I don’t think I’d be willing to endure through all the seasons of suffering that life brings. Yes, my faith does help to address my fears and it provides a moral framework for me, but my real hope is in a future life in relationship with my Creator and Redeemer. That is what helps me to get out of bed every day and to keep serving those in need around the world.

My life is what it is because of the God who made me in His image (Gen. 1:27), not because I shaped a god in my own image. Einstein is unfortunately one of those the Apostle Paul was writing about when he said, “In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord” (2 Cor. 4:4-5a). I’m thankful to God that I have a God I can thank!

“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:14).

(You can read more about Einstein’s religious views on Wikipedia.)


© 2023 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture are ESV and all images copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.