Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Fruitful Living

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law” (Galatians 5:22-23 ESV).

When this Scripture was read in our church service Sunday morning, it occurred to me that the fruit of the Spirit is the fruit of Christlikeness. As the Apostle Paul wrote to the church in Rome: “For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that He might be the firstborn among many brothers” (Romans 8:29). We display the fruit of the Spirit as we are conformed to the image of Christ. Consider how each aspect of the fruit was exhibited in the life of Christ. This is just a small sampling. 

Love
“This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:12-13).

“But I say to you who hear, ‘Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you’” (Luke 6:27).
 
Joy
“These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full” (John 15:11).

“Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2). 

Peace
“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid” (John 14:27).

“As they were talking about these things, Jesus Himself stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace to you!’” (Luke 24:36). 

Patience
“And Jesus said to her, ‘Woman, what does this have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come’” (John 2:4).

“Jesus said to him, ‘Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know Me, Philip? Whoever has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, “Show us the Father”?’” (John 14:9). 

Kindness
“And behold, a leper came to Him and knelt before Him, saying, ‘Lord, if You will, You can make me clean.’ And Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, ‘I will; be clean.’ And immediately his leprosy was cleansed” (Matthew 8:2-3).

“Jesus turned, and seeing her He said, ‘Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.’ And instantly the woman was made well” (Matthew 9:22). 

Goodness
“And Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone’” (Luke 18:19).

“Jesus answered [the Jews], ‘I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone Me?’” (John 10:30). 

Faithfulness
“Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own authority, but the Father who dwells in Me does His works” (John 14:10).

“I glorified You on earth, having accomplished the work that You gave Me to do” (John 17:4). 

Gentleness
“Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:29-30).

“And they were bringing children to Him that He might touch them… And He took them in His arms and blessed them, laying His hands on them” (Mark 10:13, 16). 

Self-Control
“He saved others; let Him save Himself… ‘If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!’” (Luke 23:35, 37).

“Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil… ‘It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God”’” (Matthew 4:1, 4).

*** 

I pray that we’ll see the increasing fruit of Christlikeness in our lives.

“Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared, but we know that when He appears we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is” (1 John 3:2). 


© 2020 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated all images are copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.