Thursday, June 11, 2020

Be Still

In our office chapel service this week we talked about Psalm 46. Verse 10 is well known, “Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” (ESV). The root Hebrew word translated as “Be still” in Psalm 46 is used elsewhere as “relax” and “wait.” In the New Testament, Mark recounts the storm at sea when Jesus “awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, ‘Peace! Be still!’ And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm” (Mark 4:39; compare also Psalm 107:29). The words used here have the connotation of “be silent.”

I was reminded of visits to my Grandma Rutan’s house as a child. When the grandkids were noisy, fussing, or hyperactive, she would say “Be still.” Looking back, I realize she was saying more than just “Sit down” or “Hush.” I think God says the same to us. “Be still. Relax. Wait. Be silent. Rest. Trust Me.”

That’s often easier said than done. When the world is in turmoil around us, we look for the things we can do and things we can control. We try to understand what God is doing, but we may not be able to figure it out. John Piper said, “God is always doing 10,000 things in your life, and you may be aware of three of them.” Sometimes we can’t even see three things. How can we rest and wait on God? Most of that has to come from knowing and trusting what Scripture says about Him.
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior” (Isaiah 43:1b-3a).

“Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and His Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last; besides Me there is no god… Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are My witnesses! Is there a God besides Me? There is no Rock; I know not any” (Isaiah 44:6, 8).

“Their Redeemer is strong; the Lord of hosts is His name. He will surely plead their cause, that He may give rest to the earth, but unrest to the inhabitants of Babylon” (Jeremiah 50:32).

“[Jesus Christ] is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords” (1 Timothy 6:15).

“Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good” (1 Peter 4:19).
If we trust that God is the sovereign Creator, Redeemer, and King, and that we belong to Him, we can learn to be still and wait upon Him to accomplish His good purposes in us, through us, and around us. As much as we want to understand and see what God is doing in our world, we’ll rarely know enough to satisfy our questions. Faith says “I know enough to trust that God knows what He’s doing.” I need that reminder frequently these days.

“And those who know Your name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You” (Psalm 9:10).

(Here’s a post I wrote a couple years ago that you might like.)


© 2020 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated all images are copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.