Thursday, February 7, 2019

Anxious for Nothing?


Multiple times lately I’ve been frustrated by the things I see written by pastors and Christian authors on the subject of anxiety. It usually goes something like this: Jesus commanded in Matthew 6:25, “Do not be anxious” and Paul repeats that command in Philippians 4:6. Therefore, when we are anxious we are exhibiting a lack of faith and are sinning by breaking that command. While there is a measure truth there, I think many authors overstate the case. In part, I think that is due to the wide variety of experiences that are referred to by the word “anxiety” both scripturally and in our lives today.
I noticed this week another comment that Paul made in Philippians 2:28 (ESV) regarding Epaphroditus: “I am the more eager to send him, therefore, that you may rejoice at seeing him again, and that I may be less anxious.” In addition, Paul said in 2 Corinthians 11:28, “And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.” Should this then be interpreted as Paul confession his sin and repenting of his anxiety? I don’t think so. There is no indication of that being the case.
Even when Jesus spoke to Martha in Luke 10:41-42, He didn’t tell her she needed to repent. He said, “You are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” It was a gentle correction, not condemnation. Likewise, when ministering to people who are anxious for whatever reason, it is not helpful to tell them “You’re sinning and need to repent.” Nor is it helpful to say, “You just need to trust God.” Throwing cliches at the person does not fix anything, and in fact may contribute to greater anxieties about lack of faith.
Anxieties, fears, and concerns exist for a reason. God made us with natural physical, mental, and emotional responses to danger in order protect ourselves. He also gave us logical minds to help us plan for the future and think through how we should respond to potential circumstances. However, in a fallen world, our bodies and minds do not always function as they should, and our responses are often out of proportion to reality. Some of our responses to anxiety can be sinful and do need to be confessed and changed, but many others need simple encouragement and counsel to deal with the sources of anxiety and to learn better coping methods.
This has really hit home with me lately as I’ve coped with the fallout of watching my house be broken into before Christmas. The lingering fears are greater than logic would justify. Though steps for greater home security have been implemented at my house, nothing can totally eliminate the anxiety. In no way do I believe my anxiety is sinful or reflects any lack of faith. I know God is in control and He is with me in every situation, and I trust Him to take care of me. (Incidentally, PTSD is not limited to military personnel and has a wide variety of causes, symptoms, and intensities.)
As I shared with my pastor recently, faith is worked out and grows through testing. None of us have perfect faith yet. In my opinion, anxiety is an opportunity to grow in faith in the midst of painful and divided thoughts and emotions. God can and will use difficult events and circumstances to develop our faith and teach us to depend on Him more fully one day at a time.
This is my comfort in my affliction, that Your promise gives me life” (Psalm 119:50).


Text and photo © 2019 Dawn Rutan. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.