Friday, February 7, 2014

It's in His Hands

As I've been meditating on Psalm 139 for several days, one thing has become more clear to me, and that is the fact that God knows all things and is present in all things. 

In verses 7-10, whether I intentionally flee from Him in guilt and shame, or whether circumstances seem to isolate me against my own desires, still God is there and is never outside the reach of my voice. In other psalms (such as 5:3 and 10:17), the psalmist reiterates the fact the God hears us when we call. Isaiah 59:1 says "Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor His ear too dull to hear" (NIV).

The next few verses of Psalm 139 are a reminder that God sees what happens in darkness. I had previously thought of this just in terms of trying to hide from God, but lately it's become apparent that this also refers to the darkness of a sinful world, as well as the pain of brokenness. When the darkness is overwhelming, still God sees, hears and responds. 

As in verses 10-16, my recent posts have already talked about the fact that God has created me as I am and He doesn't make mistakes. 

Ultimately, this psalm is a great encouragement that God is in control. As we see in the life of Job, as well as John 10:29, our times are in His hands and nothing comes against us that is not known and allowed by God. This hymn is a reminder of that fact:

Day by Day- Karolina Sandell-Berg (public domain)

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.