Friday, June 7, 2013

Peace in the Storm

I’ve often enjoyed reading Max Lucado. His books are entertaining as well as inspirational. I just finished reading Come Thirsty (borrowed from the church library if you’re interested). One of the illustrations he uses is that of the Arizona Biosphere project, an experiment in creating an entirely self-contained environment. He parallels this to the protective “dome” of God’s peace guarding our hearts and minds (Phil. 4:7).

This is a nice illustration as far as it goes. But a little research into the Biosphere reveals a few other illustrations as well. One of the problems they encountered in the project was plant etiolation—due to lack of light, plants grew pale, long stems in their search for light. (Picture daffodils trying to find their way up from the bottom of a flower pot.) Lack of chlorophyll in the plants may have contributed to insufficient oxygen levels in the dome. The parallel for Christians is that we need regular exposure to the Light of the World, Jesus. The light of Scripture and the Holy Spirit exposes sin and darkness, shows us the way, and helps us to bear fruit for Christ. Without the light we lose our way, burrowing deeper into sin instead of growing up and out.

Another problem in the Biosphere was that trees didn’t grow “stress wood” to keep them strong. Only when trees are exposed to wind do their trunks strengthen to support them. Without the adversity of wind the trees grow weak and are easily broken. Likewise, we need adversity in our lives to strengthen our faith. If we face no difficulties, we don’t really need to trust God. The stronger the wind, the more we realize we need His strengthening power. God never promised peace from the storm, but He does give peace in the midst of the storm.

When the disciples encountered the storm while on the sea, they feared for their lives. But Jesus was so much at peace that he could sleep, at least until they woke Him up. It was only then that they got a glimpse of His power and glory (Matt. 8:23-27). The disciples didn’t realize it at the time, but they were in the safest place in the world—in the boat with God incarnate. Though it’s natural to wish for relief and protection from the storms, our desire should be to see God at work in the midst of the storm. (As a side note, the popular teaching of guardian angels has always puzzled me. Why should I need a guardian angel when I’ve got God Himself watching over me?!)

The Biosphere suffered a host of other problems as well, most of which point to the fact that we don’t know as much about the world as we may think. No matter how hard we try, we can’t create life and we can’t sustain it through our own efforts. Only God has successfully done that. We can’t even control our own lives in most respects. We had no say over our birth, and only God knows the number of our days (Psalm 139:16). We can’t change our height (Matt. 6:27). We didn’t even control God’s choice of us as His children (Eph. 1:4)! So why do we keep worrying about things that are out of our control? Why do we keep trying to tell God what to do? The following prayer is an excerpt from A Cry for Mercy by Henri Nouwen:

“Do I keep doubting your love and care, your mercy and grace? Do I keep wondering, in the center of my being, whether you will give me all I need if I just keep my eyes on you? Please accept my distractions, my fatigue, my irritations, and my faithless wanderings. You know me more deeply and fully than I know myself. You love me with a greater love than I can love myself. You even offer me more than I can desire. Look at me, see me in all my misery and inner confusion, and let me sense your presence in the midst of my turmoil. All I can do is show myself to you. Yet, I am afraid to do so. I am afraid that you will reject me. But I know—with the knowledge of faith—that you desire to give me your love. The only thing you ask of me is not to hide from you, not to run away in despair, not to act as if you were a relentless despot.”

May we learn to live in the Light, look for Him in the storms, and trust that He is in control in all things!