Friday, August 13, 2021

Purpose-Full

I know I’m not the only one who has days when getting out of bed feels like wasted effort. Some days just feel pointless. That is even more true in the middle of a pandemic, when so many normal activities are postponed or cancelled completely. On days like that, it helps to remember God’s purposes.

Why do I exist?

“Because you are precious in My eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life… everyone who is called by My name, whom I created for My glory, whom I formed and made” (Isaiah 43:4, 7).

What’s my purpose?

“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (Eph. 2:10).

What if I mess up?

“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me” (1 Cor. 15:10).

“The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me” (Psalm 138:8a).

What if I don’t have the ability or energy to do anything?

“I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills His purpose for me” (Psalm 57:2).

“He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it” (1 Thess. 5:24).

What about people who may be hindering me?

“But for this purpose I have raised you [Pharaoh] up, to show you my power, so that My name may be proclaimed in all the earth” (Ex. 9:16).

“My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all My purpose” (Isaiah 46:10b).

God’s purposes will prevail, regardless of how exhausted, inept, or unprepared we may be at any point in time. He will work in and through our weakness to glorify Himself. “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me” (2 Cor. 12:9b).

In those times when discouragement and doubt make it hard to get out of bed, and it seems like we’re just going in circles and accomplishing nothing, we can say with Job— “I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted” (Job 42:2). We may not know even a fraction of what God is doing in the world, but we can trust that He is doing something and that we have a part to play by His grace and mercy in choosing us and using us. That ought to get us moving.

“And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ” (Phil. 1:6).


© 2021 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture are ESV and all images are copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.