Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Pearls of Great Price

Thanksgiving can be a difficult holiday for many people. It’s hard to give thanks when you don’t feel thankful about what’s going on in life. As Ed Welch wrote in his article I Am Not Giving Thanks, “There are plenty of hardships in this world, and they are not good. What is good is that evil cannot stand in the way of God’s essential work of making his people more and more as they were intended to be, which is portrayed most clearly in the Son. This, indeed, is a glorious good, but it could feel as though it falls short of our lesser versions of good.”

We may feel like we’re just going through the motions. Commands such as “Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! …Come into His presence with singing! …Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise!” (Psalm 100), may feel like salt on an open wound. A podcast I was listening to recently made the comment that when the church gathers, maybe I don’t have the heart to sing right now, but I can listen to others sing. Another week I may be the one singing when others can only listen. We tend to forget that many of the commands in Scripture are for the church as a whole, not merely an individual mandate.

Some of the things we are not thankful for now may one day be reasons for praise. The Apostle Peter wrote, “In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ” (1 Pet. 1:6-7). Even if we can’t give thanks for the hard things in this life, there will come a day when it all becomes worthwhile.

In the novel Silver Birches, by Adrian Plass, one character is a minister who has lost his wife. He tells the others in his group:

“Apparently pearls are formed by oysters as a reaction or defense against a foreign body or irritant… I think something very similar has happened in my own life—and yours. There’ve been troubles and weaknesses and negative influences that haven’t just threatened but come very close to moving in and ruining parts of my life… I’m sure we shouldn’t take any pride or satisfaction in these irritants that enter our lives, but, look, I do think we should greatly value the way in which God’s able to form a pearl of protection around each of them. He hasn’t got rid of most of them because he’s good enough to allow us to go on being the person we are. We wear God’s pearls as symbols of our vulnerability and perhaps as pictures of the way God can make something beautiful out of weakness.”

So, I ask myself and I ask you, what are some of the troubles and trials that God has turned into pearls? What weaknesses and places of pain is He still working to transform? Though I can’t list everything publicly, I will share a few:

  • I’m thankful for the depression that causes me to search Scripture for words of comfort.
  • I’m thankful for the seasons of loneliness in which my words come out in writing and prayer.
  • I’m thankful that struggles I’ve dared to share have been used to comfort and encourage others in similar trials.

I know my pearls are not yet fully formed, but one day they will be laid at Jesus’ feet with gratitude and thanksgiving. 

“And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful” (Col. 3:15).


© 2020 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture are ESV and all images are copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.