Saturday, July 18, 2020

Contentment: A Desire Fulfilled


I’ve been thinking a lot lately about contentment. The Apostle Paul wrote to the Philippians: “Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content” (4:11 ESV). Interestingly, the Greek word translated as contentment is translated as sufficiency in 2 Corinthians 9:8: “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.” That puts a little different spin on things. We generally think of contentment as a state of mind—being happy with our circumstances. However, sufficiency is more of a state of being—having enough.
Paul combines those ideas in 1 Timothy 6:6-8, “But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.” If we have what is sufficient for survival, we should then be content. However, as we all know that is rarely the case. We can always think of things that we wish we had—relationships, abilities, possessions, etc.
Melissa Kruger commented in a recent “Let’s Talk” podcast, “What shifted is I recognized I have a heart problem, not a circumstance problem. So, that changes how I fight the battle. I realize I’m going to be fighting this battle with discontentment my whole life, but I fight it differently.” The problem is not what we’re lacking but what we’re idolizing. Anything that takes our eyes off God has the potential to make us discontented. If our delight is in God, our desires are fulfilled because He is what we desire most (Psalm 37:4).
The Apostle Peter wrote that “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence” (2 Peter 1:3). I don’t think we really believe that to be true most of the time. I know I’ve tended to interpret that in a strictly spiritual sense, and therefore I haven’t appreciated His provision of food, shelter, and relationships as I should.
Paul David Tripp wrote in War of Words,
“The blessings God gives you in your family, job, home, church, friends, and community are meant to do something for you. They are meant to point you to the deeper and fuller blessing of the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ in your life. He is life! Abundant life is not your spouse, children house, car, possessions, job, friends, or church. Abundant life is Jesus Christ! The amazing reality is that he is ours and we are his! This is the bread worth living for” (95).
We don’t always remember to let the gifts point us back to the Giver. We desire things that God never promised and that we don’t really need. We confuse wants with needs, and fail to recognize God’s gracious provision. We forget that He is a good Father and that “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change” (James 1:17). In Tripp’s words,
“May God help us to be people who see the sign behind the miracle, who look at earthly blessing and say, ‘These blessings point me to the deeper, fuller reality of Christ in my life. What I hunger for and what I want my life to be about is fellowship with, love for, and obedience to my Lord Jesus Christ’” (100).
“Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You” (Psalm 73:25).


© 2020 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated all images are copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.