Monday, November 19, 2018

Giving Thanks?


This is one of those times when I have to remind myself that Thanksgiving is not merely a humanly contrived holiday but is a command of God. “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5:18 ESV).

Abraham Lincoln’s Proclamation of Thanksgiving said in part:

“No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy… I do therefore invite my fellow citizens… to observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife…”

It is curious how we’ve turned the day away from thanking God for His divine mercy, and instead use Thursday and Friday for overindulgence and overspending. Quite honestly, I experience little enjoyment in the “holiday” that this has become. I would rather spend the day as a spiritual retreat (and I may well do that next year).

In an effort to refocus on reasons for gratitude toward God, here are a few reminders from Scripture:

“It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to Your name; O Most High; to declare Your steadfast love in the morning, and Your faithfulness by night… How great are Your works, O Lord! Your thoughts are very deep!” (Psalm 92:1-2, 5).

“I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well” (Psalm 139:14).

“O Lord, You are my God; I will exalt You; I will praise Your name, for You have done wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful and sure” (Isaiah 25:1).

“But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me” (Micah 7:7).

“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by His grace as a gift through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” (Romans 3:23-24).

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 1:3).

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you” (1 Peter 1:3-4).

“His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence, by which He has granted to us His precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature…” (2 Peter 1:3-4a).

“In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent His only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we have loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (1 John 4:9-10).

As we go through the next several weeks of Advent and Christmas, may we all be reminded of the blessings that are ours in Christ alone, and may we give thanks to Him every day.

“Through Him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge His name” (Hebrews 2:15).



© 2018 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated all images are copyright free from pixabay.com. The opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the views of my church or employer.