Monday, June 13, 2016

Forgiveness With a Purpose

I wasn't planning to write anything tonight, but I found myself startled by Scripture and needed to share what I found. 

I was praying through Psalm 51 when I took particular notice of the sequence of events. Confession and repentance lead to forgiveness and restoration, but it doesn't end there. David clearly states that if sacrifices would do any good he would make them. Instead, he says, the fact of his forgiveness will cause him to share the good news with others. His testimony becomes the grounds for sinners to learn about God's love and mercy. 

Sacrifices, offerings, and penance don't accomplish anything because Jesus was the last sacrifice that was needed. Further sacrifices are not only unnecessary, but they keep us from quickly claiming the forgiveness and cleansing that is already ours in Christ (1 John 1:9). If we will instead move forward in declaring God's praise, then we can "teach transgressors Your ways and sinners will return to You" (v. 13 ESV). We can declare with confidence "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteousness man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that He may have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon" (Isaiah 55:7).

John Piper would call this "gutsy guilt"-- fully believing what God says is true of our forgiveness and freedom in Christ so that we don't get bogged down by guilt and we can keep moving forward in ministry.

So, I'll join David in saying yes, "I know my transgression and my sin is ever before me," but because of Christ I am forgiven (Colossians 2:13-14), I am not condemned (Romans 8:1), and nothing can separate me from His love (Romans 8:39). I want others to know that assurance as well. 

"Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me" (Micah 7:8).


© Dawn Rutan 2016