Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Praying Specifically

Bill Hybels just finished a sermon series on prayer at Willow Creek. In one of the messages, he commented on something I’ve often thought about. Now that it’s on my mind I can’t help but notice it when people are praying, and that is the frequent use of the phrase “Be with,” as in “Be with Bill as he travels” or “Be with John in the hospital.” As Hybels pointed out, why are we praying for something that is already promised to believers in Scripture?

·         “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20).
·         “…even the Spirit of truth… You know him, for He dwells with you and will be in you” (John 14:17).
·         “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16).
·         “It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me” (Galatians 2:20).
·         “By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you” (2 Timothy 1:14).

Granted, there are a couple times in Scripture where Paul says, “The Lord be with you” (2 Thessalonians 3:16) or “The Lord with your spirit” (2 Timothy 4:22), but I would take these more as a word of blessing (benediction) than as a prayer request. More often, Paul blesses the readers with “grace be with you” or “peace be with you.”

What exactly is it we’re hoping for when we pray “Be with Aunt Margaret”? I would suggest a few things we can pray that are more specific and more scriptural.

·         Give peace and comfort to John in the hospital and heal this infection quickly.
·         Protect Bill as he travels and keep him alert on the roads.
·         Remind Margaret that You are with her as she mourns and bring friends alongside her.
·         Encourage Sam and let him know he is loved by You and by his family.
·         Bring Sue to a saving knowledge of Your love and grace.

I know when we’re praying, especially in public, it is hard to come up with the right words to convey all our desires for a person. So “be with” has become a catch-all phrase to fill the gap (and “bless” is right behind that in usage). I’m not sure how we can recognize answers to prayer if all we pray are vague generalities. But if we pray specifically and scripturally, it should become more evident how God is working to answer those prayers. It’s a bit like writing a strategic plan (something we’ve spent months on at our office). If a goal is not specific and measurable, how do you know if/when you’ve reached it?

One of the other comments Hybels made in his sermon series is that he finds it hard to concentrate on prayer unless he writes it out longhand. That’s something I’ve started doing recently for some of my prayers. I’ve been reading through the Psalms and when a verse catches my attention I write it down and then write a prayer based on the thoughts triggered by it. That’s not a substitute for praying on the go as needs come to mind, but I find that I am more likely to include praise and thanksgiving if I’m taking the time to write out my prayers.

I suspect we all need help in our prayer lives, and that’s probably why so many people won’t pray out loud. No matter how verbally adept we may or may not be, we can take comfort in the fact that “we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words” (Romans 8:26).