Monday, October 7, 2013

Christians and Depression

This is Mental Illness Awareness Week. Many folks know that I’ve struggled with depression most of my life, sometimes major, sometimes minor, but almost always there. So it’s a subject I’m often researching, looking for new medical breakthroughs or just looking for encouragement from people who have been there. So I thought I would share some of the things I’ve been reading lately on the subject of depression. I’ve read some good and not-so-good books in the past couple weeks, and I see the same theme repeated in many, as the following quotes reveal.

In Gwen Smith’s book Broken into Beautiful she says, “I’ve spent most of my life hiding behind a smile… I’ve always considered my past just that: my past. I’m pragmatic that way. I’ve experienced shame, pain, and brokenness as much as the next person. I just haven’t been in the habit of sharing the particulars with people who could possibly judge me for it” (p. 7).

Barbara Crafton writes in Jesus Wept (not a book I’d recommend), “The umbrage we take at depression in people of faith lies in a mistaken idea of what faith is for: we imagine that a closer walk with God will make us consistently happy. We’re so committed to this idea that some of us take sorrow on the part of religious people as evidence of their hypocrisy… Neither faith nor the lack of it guarantees happiness” (p. 95).

Another author I’m starting to like is Sheila Walsh. I have not yet read her first book, Honestly, but in Extraordinary Faith she quotes a woman she met, “I used to believe. I used to believe that God loved me, and the church would be there for you when times got rough, but it’s a crock. The church is just a building full of people pretending to be okay when they’re bleeding to death” (p. 83).

And one book I haven’t finished yet is New Light on Depression, by David Biebel and Harold Koenig. They list and refute ten myths about depression: 1) You’re depressed because you want to be depressed. 2) You can beat depression with willpower. 3) You’re depressed because of unconfessed sins. 4) If you’re depressed, you’re just feeling sorry for yourself. 5) Depressed believers have weak faith. 6) It’s easy to tell when you are depressed. 7) Depression is just another word for grief. 8) Christians will be understanding and supportive. 9) Depression is a waste of time. 10) Depression arises from repressed anger (pp. 75-91).

The common, and disturbing, theme in all these is that Christians tend to stigmatize believers who are suffering from depression (as well as other mental illnesses). There is a lack of understanding and an abundance of misconceptions about depression and how it relates to faith. As a result, Christians who are depressed end up with added shame for not living up to the standards of their community, and they may try to survive in secrecy. Jan Dravecky in A Joy I’d Never Known mentions a pastor who preached at her, “If you are depressed, you don’t need medication, you don’t need counseling, you don’t need to go running after everything the world has to offer. That will only open you up to the power of Satan…” Some small part of me hopes that this guy suddenly experiences depression for himself!

The truth is that people from all walks of life can suffer from depression. It often has nothing to do with faith, although shame and guilt can certainly add to the problem. Sometimes it leaves without treatment, but often medication and/or counseling are needed. At the very least we need friends who will encourage us and remind us of the truth of God’s promises in Scripture.

For those who are seeking to help a depressed person, the two most important things you can do are listen and pray. Listen without judging. Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to ask the suicide question. Share encouragement and truth as appropriate. There may be times for offering advice, but you need to be sure they are open to hearing it. And pray for the person when you are together as well as any other time they may come to mind. We all like to fix problems, but there are no quick fixes to depression. As John Townsend writes in Where Is God? “God uses our difficulties to make us relationally based people, rather than solutions-based people—relationships first, solutions second” (p. 116).

For those who are in the hole of depression, the top two recommendations I can give are: 1) Be totally honest with at least one person who can support and encourage you with biblical counsel and wisdom; and 2) Don’t give up. Keep on keeping on even when the road never seems to end. I feel like my whole life has been one of learning and relearning how to let people in. When I don’t, that road ahead of me looks like a never-ending uphill climb. But as I let others join me, I no longer notice the road but begin to enjoy the journey.

I’m not sure I’ll ever be completely free from this particular thorn, but as Paul said it does keep me humble and reminds me that God’s grace is sufficient even in this weakness. “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me” (2 Cor. 12:9). My frequent prayer for myself and for anyone suffering from depression is that of Romans 15:13, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.”