Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Signs

I’ve been rereading Exodus lately, and I’m really liking Moses. I can identify with his fears and questions. He starts off by killing an Egyptian, and runs off to Midian to avoid the consequences. (I wouldn’t mind hiding out in the wilderness for awhile.) So God has to get his attention with a burning bush. After Moses hears the orders from God, what is his response? Not “Here am I, send me,” but “Who, me?!” God assures Moses of His presence and plan, and yet Moses insists on having all the details spelled out for him. And after God tells him everything, Moses still says, “I need a sign.” God gives him several signs, and yet Moses still responds, “I can’t do this! PLEASE send someone else.” So God allows Aaron to go along and help out.

Throughout the whole process of freeing the Israelites from captivity in Egypt, Moses continues to question God. Moses does seem a bit more confident at the Red Sea—“Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord” (14:13). However, verse 15 leads me to believe Moses was still quaking inwardly since God asks, “Why do you cry to Me?” After all the signs that Moses has seen, and the reassurances he’s gotten directly from God, in Exodus 33 we find him asking for yet another sign of God’s continued presence and direction in this plan. This time Moses gets to see God’s back as He passes by the cleft in the rock. And knowing that the wilderness experience goes on for many more years, you know that Moses has a lot more times of doubt.

It’s reassuring to know that even the “big name” guys of the Bible don’t have it all together. No matter how much they’ve seen and heard, they still question God’s plan (and maybe His sanity!). Apparently God doesn’t tire of reassuring His children of His love and care. They may be lightly chided, like Jesus asking the disciples, “Where’s your faith? Why were you so afraid?” But God never tells anyone, “No, I’ve given you enough signs! Just do what I said.” At least, He doesn’t say that to those who earnestly seek Him. Jesus quotes Isaiah’s words says that unbelievers “keep on hearing, but do not understand; keep on seeing but do not perceive” (Luke 8:10). And Paul says that God’s “eternal power and divine nature have been clearly perceived… So they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20).

But for those who are children of God, He seems to delight in giving reminders of His love. Like a loving parent, He doesn’t say, “I told you yesterday that I loved you, and nothing has changed since then. Do I have to say it again?” No, He’s eager to say “I love you” every day, multiple times per day, and as often as we need to be reminded.

In the book Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge, they relate the story of when each of them asked for a simple sign of God’s love and the answers were granted immediately. (I believe it was dolphins and starfish that they were looking for.) I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago up in Blowing Rock. In that area of North Carolina, small, almost perfectly cubical rocks (limonite) can be found and I’ve spent a lot of time looking. I’ve never found more than one about half an inch in size during a weekend visit. Well, this particular weekend I was feeling pretty low, and so I asked God that as a sign of His love He would allow me to find a good size square rock. I started looking, and within about a minute I found three, and within the rest of the weekend I found two more. It seems like a really small thing, but it was the reassurance I needed just then. I may not have faith that can move mountains, but I do have a God who can move stones no matter how big or small.

When we start doubting God’s love, the enemy likes to capitalize on that and make us feel like an isolated, incompetent failure—the “only one in the world” who questions whether God really cares or really has the power to change our circumstances. But God isn’t surprised or judgmental when we say, “Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!” Sometimes He’s just waiting for us to acknowledge our weakness and ask for His comfort and help.

“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).