Thursday, September 5, 2013

Perfectionism Is Sin

This is a subject that has come to my attention only recently. I’d never really thought of perfectionism as a sin before, more like a personality trait. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that perfectionism is based entirely in pride. I should note that I’m not talking about our efforts to avoid sin but our work ethic. There are several questions that draw this out:

  • What is my motivation for my actions? (Doing a good job or not making mistakes?)
  • Who am I trying to impress? (God? Others?)
  • Whose standards am I trying to meet? (Employer? Self? God?)
  • When I do make mistakes, what is my reaction? (Embarrassment/shame? Condemnation?)

We all fall into the trap of trying to protect our reputation because of our pride. When you find something you’re good at, it’s natural to want to do your best. And we all like to be praised for doing something well. But sometimes our motivation gets twisted into seeking man’s approval instead of seeking to glorify God (Colossians 3:23).

I can say that this is a major problem for me. First, I put unnecessary expectations on myself. If a report is due the 31st, I want to have it done by the 15th. And if I can complete it by the 15th, then why not the 10th? My original logic was good—if I get something done early then I have time to recheck it before it is due. But after awhile there is no rechecking, it’s just “get it done and get it out.” Second, I pressure myself to get something done so fast that I start making unnecessary errors. And third, errors make me angry because “I should know better.” It becomes a vicious cycle of stress and frustration.

So what is the solution? I think the first step is to start asking the above questions in regards to a particular task. I can look at the actual deadlines and not try to move them up. Assuming I’m not procrastinating, I’ll probably still get things done ahead of time, but I don’t have to rush to meet some self-imposed deadline. Chances are good that no one will notice if a report goes out a week later than it used to. Even if they do, are they the ones who determine my responsibilities or my value?

The second step is to remember that I’m human and mistakes come with the territory. Football player Benjamin Watson was told by his father, “When our worth is tied up in our perfection, we are not only fighting an impossible battle, we are turning our back on God’s grace. There’s no freedom in that” (as quoted Guideposts Sept. 2013). We all make mistakes, but that doesn’t change our value in God’s sight, and it shouldn’t change our sense of self-worth either. That’s what God’s grace is for, and we should give ourselves some grace as well. When I inadvertently put the wrong number on a state sales tax form, I was relieved to learn that we could request a penalty waiver due to our “good compliance record” (no mistakes in 3 years). If the state can give a little grace, why can’t I?

The third step is to learn from mistakes, not beat myself up over them. I used to joke about my predecessor who did the same task three different ways to make sure he came up with the same numbers. I haven’t gone that far (which I think could become obsessive), but I do find ways to build “self-checks” into my procedures. I can either dwell on the past or I can move forward.

Philippians 3 is a great picture of pride that becomes rubbish. Paul had every reason for pride as a “perfect” Jew. But then Jesus got hold of him and all that went out the window as he realized the “surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord” (v. 8). Then the only perfection he sought was “that which comes through faith in Christ” (v. 9). Only then could he say, “One thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (vv. 13-14).

May that be the only prize that I seek and my only motivation for work, not for power, prestige, or the praise of men!