Thursday, April 25, 2013

Whole-Hearted Love

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength” (Luke 10:27; Matthew 22:37). That can sound pretty vague and spiritualized. What if it said, “Love the Lord your God with all your career, family, recreation, finances, priorities, emails, thoughts....” If any of those are not God-centered, then we aren’t loving God with our whole hearts. That makes it more personal—and more difficult. I know when I’ve heard that verse quoted my tendency is to think, “Yeah, I love God as much as I can.” But then I go home from church and don’t think much about it until the next week. I guarantee I’ve made choices that are less than God-honoring and less than loving, probably every day whether I realize it or not. Just trying to focus on God’s priorities for one whole day can be exhausting, much less keeping it up 24/7. 

Then add on “Love your neighbor” (Matt. 22:38) and the self-deception thickens. “Yeah, I love people. I don’t get mad at the slow cashier or the bad driver. I’m kind to the foreign kid waiting tables. I mow my neighbor’s lawn occasionally.” But is that really love or just kindness, or perhaps just tolerance? Paul Miller said, “I honestly don’t know how to love someone if I’m not praying for them. How did I learn that? By trying to love people when I wasn’t praying for them. Mess after mess. Frustration on top of frustration” (interview in byFaith magazine). How many of our neighbors are we actually praying for on a regular basis? Even family members and close friends tend to slip on and off our prayer lists depending on their immediate needs. If we don’t care enough about someone to pray for them frequently, are we really loving them as God has commanded? Prayer is just one measure of our love for our neighbor.

The final part of Matthew 22:38 is, “Love… yourself.” It’s not enough to profess love for God and neighbor, but we’re to love ourselves too. I read an illustration recently where a man said, “I’ve always heard that verse as ‘Love your neighbor but hate yourself,’ and I’ve done very well to fulfill the second part.” I’ve heard some preaching over the years that might lean toward that interpretation, telling people to always put others first. While that sounds like a godly thing to do, for those with low self-esteem (and I include myself in that group) it can be interpreted to mean that your own needs don’t matter, you aren’t important, and perhaps that God loves others more than He loves you. When that is the case, we have to learn to accept what God says is true of us: we are loved with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3); we belong to the Beloved and His desire is for us (Song of Solomon 7:10); we are His adopted children (Ephesians 1:5); and so many other words of truth! If God so loves me, then I am free to love myself as well. Jesuit Bernard Bush writes, “We cannot assume that [God] feels about us the way we feel about ourselves, unless we love ourselves intensely and freely.”

Only when I know and accept who I am in Christ can I begin to love others with the love that I have received from my heavenly Father. That is true love. Without that foundation, all my acts of love are generated from my own strength and are motivated by the changing feelings of fondness and appreciation. Whole-hearted love comes from a heart overflowing with the love of God. “I pray… that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God” (Ephesians 3:17-19). When we allow God’s love to fill our lives, that love is reflected back to Him in our daily choices and it’s reflected in our interactions with others. Only because of His love at work in us can we fulfill the commands to love God, love others, and love ourselves. Anything else is a faint imitation at best. Love is part of the Fruit of the Spirit, which means it can only be grown by the Holy Spirit at work in us. There’s nothing we can do to make that fruit grow except to abide in the Vine (Christ)—believing and accepting what He says to be true and letting Him transform our hearts and lives one day at a time.

While I write this from personal experience, you can be sure that I have a long way to go in the growth process! Just because you know something is true doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ve worked it into your daily faith walk. “Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another… We love because He first loved us” (1 John 4:11,19).