Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Arise My Love

Every now and then I have a moment when it seems like God pulls back the corner of the veil to give me just a glimpse of His glory and majesty. I was reading something that mentioned the song, “Arise, My Love” by NewSong, and I had to listen to it to remember all the words. It draws on imagery of 1 Corinthians 15:54-55 (ESV), “Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” But the Apostle Paul didn’t stop there. He goes on to say, “The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
As I read that, I realized that I’ve held an incomplete understanding of all that Paul is saying in these verses. My primary thought has always been that death is the consequence of living in a sinful, fallen world—in essence, that death is the sting of sin. But Paul said it the other way around. “The sting of death is sin.” In Romans Paul wrote, “We know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin” (6:6), and “now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code” (7:6). Then he pulls it all together in 8:1-2, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.”
Sin and death are intimately intertwined. The first sin brought death into the world—not just the death of the physical body, or even the eternal death of condemnation, but also the daily “walking death” of lives wrapped up in sin. But the death of Jesus on the cross freed us from all the reign and power of sin and death. We are no longer bound to that old master. Yes, physical death will still occur for whatever time remains for this earth, but it is ultimately conquered. Sin will also remain for a time, but its power is defeated. We are free to say no to temptation and freed from the daily death of sin.
I wish NewSong had written another verse to their song, because God didn’t just call Jesus to arise from the grave. He also calls us to arise from the grave of sin every day. He keeps saying, “Arise, My love, the grave no longer has a hold on you!” When temptation comes our way, “Arise, My love, and listen to the voice of your true Master!” When sin trips us up, “Arise, My love, you are forgiven!” When death darkens our door, “Arise, My love, this is not the end!”
My beloved speaks and says to me:
“Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away,
for behold, the winter is past;
the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.
The fig tree ripens its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away.”
(Song of Solomon 2:10-13)
We no longer belong to the realm of sin and death, but we live in the kingdom of life. May we all hear His voice calling us to arise out of whatever grave we find ourselves in today.
Thanks be to God for His inexpressible gift!” (2 Cor. 9:15).



© 2017 Dawn Rutan. Unless otherwise indicated all images are copyright free from pixabay.com.