Thursday, December 5, 2013

I'm Entitled!

I’ve been reading the book of Job lately, and it seems to me that Job’s friends have gotten a lot of bad press over the years. Much of what they say is actually true, despite the fact that they don’t know the back story taking place in the heavens. And Job wasn’t as guiltless as he first seems. Early in the book it says that “in all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong” (1:22), but by 42:6 he is repenting “in dust and ashes.”

What happened in between? My reading is that Job had a bad case of entitlement. He basically says, “Let me state my case before God. I’ll prove my innocence and convince God He was wrong to put me through all this suffering.” Even the oft quoted verse “Though He slay me, I will hope in Him” actually ends with “yet I will argue my case before Him” (13:15).

I haven’t used those exact words, but that has been the motivation in my heart at times. “I’ve done these good things, I’ve trusted You and praised You, and yet I’m suffering. I’ve endured various types of suffering, and yet You still don’t bring me relief.” Sometimes it seems like we should be entitled to things we don’t get. Not just material things, but the spiritual blessings that come from being a child of God. He says we’ve been blessed “in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 1:3), and yet those blessings often seem so elusive.

Now’s a good time to confess that I don’t always practice what I preach. I can write about true hope being founded on the expectation of God’s promises, while simultaneously wishing God would change my circumstances. And when He doesn’t, I can get angry enough to want to argue my case before God. Hope can quickly degenerate into entitlement if I’m not careful.

So where does that leaves us? A few thoughts come to mind—

1) It does no good to argue with God or try to bargain with Him. His ways and means are so foreign to us that all we can do is put our hand over our mouth as Job did.

2) There may be a bigger story taking place than we can ever imagine. I’ve often wondered exactly how the heavenly dialogue of Job 1 was revealed in order to be included in Scripture. Did God tell Job what had happened, or was some other writer enlightened after the fact?

3) God’s promises in Scripture are true whether we believe them or not, and whether we experience them for ourselves or not. Despite Job’s fears that God wouldn’t even listen to him (9:16), he found out that God not only heard him, but knew what was going on better than Job did.

4) Sin can hinder us from seeing what God is doing. Whether it was Job’s sense of entitlement, or the Israelites’ fear that God wouldn’t provide for their needs in the wilderness and in the Promised Land, sin can get in the way. It can make a small problem bigger, and it can make it last longer. I’m sure the Israelites felt entitled to enter the Promised Land after their slavery in Egypt and wandering in the wilderness, but they found out they had missed out on the blessing because of their lack of faith. The Promised Land then became the dream of the next generation.

What it boils down to is: confess and repent of what is revealed to be sin, trust God to keep His promises, and pray for the eyes to see what He is doing and the endurance to wait for His timing. Easier said than done, but I’m working on it!